Manchester United to Provide Update on Mason Greenwood’s Future
Manchester United are expected to deliver an update on Mason Greenwood’s future at the club on Monday. According to David Ornstein of The Athletic, the Red Devils will announce their decision as early as tomorrow.
Ornstein said in an NBC Sports interview that “no final decision has been made” regarding Greenwood and “all scenarios still remain open.” This comes after The Athletic reported two weeks ago that United CEO Richard Arnold told senior staff the club were planning to bring Greenwood back into the fold.
However, United has faced backlash for these plans. The Sun claims the club is now considering a “U-turn” due to criticism. Countdown host Rachel Riley also said she would stop supporting United if they brought Greenwood back.
Speaking about the ongoing process, Ornstein stated Arnold informed executives earlier this month that United is planning for Greenwood’s return. This decision is believed to have support from Erik ten Hag and football director John Murtough.
Greenwood has been suspended since January 2022 following his arrest. Charges were dropped in February but United continues its own investigation. The club said in a statement last week that a decision has not yet been finalized and remains under “intensive internal deliberation.”
United will hold a final meeting this weekend before the board makes a judgment on Greenwood’s long-term future at Old Trafford. Fans and stakeholders await the final verdict, which could see Greenwood reintegrated, loaned out, sold or dismissed permanently.